The vast size of the country, the great abundance of wildlife, its stunning landscapes and diverse cultural influences make Tanzania a fascinating place to explore.
It is also safe (on the most part) for solo travellers as long as you respect the culture, use common sense and plan ahead.
Located in East Africa, Tanzania is most known for its incedible and vast wilderness areas. However, it does also boast many activities and attractions that tourists can enjoy.
For example, you can climb Mt Kilimanjaro, see the Big 5 on Safari in the Serengeti and even scuba dive on the island of Zanzibar.
If you’re wanting an all-round experience in Africa, then Tanzania is the place to go.
The great thing about Tanzania is the the living costs are reasonable too, usually around 55-70% cheaper than in Australia.
Top Things to See & Do in Tanzania:
- Safari in the Serengeti National Park
- Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- Relax on one of the many beaches of Zanzibar Island
- See the red colobus monkey in Jozani Forest on Zanzibar Island
- Explore the history of Stone Town, Zanzibar Island
- Visit the house where Freddie Mercury was born (Zanzibar Island)
- Visit the Spice Plantations
- Hike up Mt. Kilimanjaro
- Lake Manyara, Tarangire & Arusha National Parks
- Mafia Island Marine Park
- Visit Lake Victoria, the largest freshwater lake in Africa
- and much more!
Average temp: 24-25°C
Average temp: 20°C
The best time to visit Tanzania really depends on what activities you’re planning to do.
Do you want to lounge on the beaches of Zanzibar? Hike to he top of Mt. Kilimanjaro? Or go on safari?
The dry season is generally favoured by tourists (June-October) for spotting wildlife and seeing the Great Migration. It’s also a good time of the year for lounging on the beach as it tends to be less humid.
Although some variance throughout the year, you can usually see the migration all year round.
It just depends where you visit and at what time of the year.
- June-July is often the best time to see the migration in the Serengeti
- July- September is often the best time to see the huge herds of wildbeest and zebra cross the Mara River.
- Jan-Feb is perferable if you want to see the wildebeests calving
- Nov – March is the green season. The weather during this time mightn’t be as good but there’s usually less crowds and it’s a good time for bird watching.
Tanzania can also get VERY humid during certain times of the year, especially in April. Tourists often avoid travelling through Tanzania during the rainy season (from March – May) due to the added humidity and heavy rains.
NOTE: Tanzania is within the “moderate” risk zone for Malaria, so ensure to pack anti-malaria tablets and take as prescribed.
- Join a group tour / day trip and let them do the driving
- Local flights between the main cities
- Bicycle (mountain bike) through the local villages
- Ferry across to Zanzibar Island
- Bus / Coach / Train (but do your research before to ensure it is safe)
- Enjoy spotting the big 5 whilst on Safari in the Serengeti National Park
- Hot-air balloon over the Serengeti National Park
- Camp overnight in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- Go scuba diving, snorkelling, wind-surfing and other water sports on Zanzibar Island
- Do a day tour of Stone Town (Zanzibar) to learn about the rich history of the island
- Mountain trek up Mt. Kilimanjaro
- Visit the “Rock Restaurant” which is located offshore at Paje Beach
- Horse riding
- Ride through the local townships on bicycle
- Quad biking
- Low Cost of Living 70% 70%
- Safe for Travellers 80% 80%
- Landscapes & Scenery 95% 95%
- Tourist Attractions & Things to Do 90% 90%
- Adventure Rating 85% 85%
Disclaimer: Always check the smartraveller.gov.au website (or related) before travelling overseas, for their latest safety updates, advice and recommendations.
Zanzibar Travel Guide | 10 Best things to Do in Zanzibar for Solo Travellers
Organising a trip Zanzibar Island? Check out our Zanzibar Travel Guide for solo travellers outlining the 10 best things to do in Zanzibar. Click here to read more.
How to Visit the Serengeti National Park (Tanzania’s Greatest Treasure!)
Interested in travelling to the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania? In this article, I provide an overview of and some top reasons why you'll be impressed by Tanzania's Greatest Treasure!
An Easy Guide to Tanzania & 5 Critical Tips for Solo Travellers in Tanzania
Interested in travelling to and exploring Tanzania? In this article, we share 5 of the most important tips for Solo Travellers in Tanzania.
MY TOP 3 RECOMMENDED GEAR FOR TANZANIA
Rainleaf Microfibre Towel
Rainleadf Micro-fibre towels are fantastic because they take up minimal space in your backpack, dry quickly and are very absorbant.
They are perfect for travellers or campers, and give you the freedom to take part in the lake water activities without carrying around a heavy, damp or smelly bathtowel the entire time.
Warm Sleeping Bag
In Africa, temperatures tend to cool down over night – therefore you want to pack some warmth, especially if camping in an open plain.
You can check out some of our recommended sleeping bags here.
Closed-toed Hiking Shoes
Therefore, you want to ensure that you’re equipped with a durable pair of hiking shoes.
Whether you’re planning to trek up Mt. Kilimanjaro or go on Safari throughout the country, closed toed shoes are often important.
If you’d like to read up on some hiking shoes that I recommend, you can click the link below.
SOLO TRAVEL TIPS
Amazing! Ensure to check out our Solo Travel page that is loaded with important advice & tips to know before you go.
They will help you to prepare for the journey and overcome any personal obstacles you experience during your trip.
Finding the right gear for your trip can be overwhelming and expensive – especially if you don’t know where to start.
On our Travel Gear page, I list my favourite travel gear and accessories to help you narrow down the field, save money and buy quality gear at reasonable prices.
PLAN & BOOK YOUR TRIP
There’s no doubt that planning and booking your trip is the most exciting part for any new adventure.
Here I outline 20 steps that you need to know in order to plan and book a successful trip & have fun whilst doing it.
Start Planning Your Journey Today!
If you're interested in trying something new, or planning your next adventure, ensure to check out our latest articles for inspiration.
If you're ready to take an even bigger jump and would love to travel solo overseas, ensure to grab your copy of our FREE Solo Travel Starter Pack for Beginners.
This pack includes:
- A breakdown of how to book your first solo trip overseas and all the steps you need to consider
- Solo travel tips for beginners
- A pre-travel Planner, Tracker & Budget Template
Get yours for free today!