Queensland or “QLD” as many call it, is located in the north-east of Australia.
Its coastline stretches for nearly 7,000km making it an incredible destination of pristine beaches and coastal towns.
Just offshore sits the Great Barrier Reef, which is the world’s largest coral reef system and a snorkeller’s paradise.
There’s also an incredible range of national parks and historical rainforests to explore on foot.
If surfing is more your jam and you want to experience the “beachy” lifestyle, head on over to the Gold and Sunshine Coasts.
These coastal towns lie just outside of Brisbane, the state’s capital.
Click here to learn more about Queensland & the top things to do.
Top Things to See & Do in Queensland:
- Explore Brisbane CBD
- Jump on a roller coaster at one of the many theme parks: Dreamworld, Warner Bros. Movie World, Sea World or Wet’n’Wild
- Relax at the beaches and go surfing along the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast
- Go hiking in Glass House National Park
- Visit the coastal town of Noosa
- Explore Cairns and Port Douglas up north
- Admire the nature and scenic views of Cape Tribulation and the Daintree Rainforest
- Drive up to the tip of Australia, Cape York
- Indulge and relax in the Whitsundays and visit Whitehaven Beach
- Explore the Great Barrier Reef
- The rainy and humid season during Summer (October to May) and
- The dry season that falls during the cooler months of Winter (June and October)
The best way for travellers to get around Queensland is to drive or fly between the main cities.
There is a lot of ground to cover between the key cities/towns – afterall, it is one of Austalia’s largest states.
The best options in the cities:
- Hire a car
- Book a Taxi/Uber
- Catch public transport
- Hire a bike
- Hire a car, 4WD or caravan and road-trip
- Local flights between the main cities
- Regional trains and coaches
The Best Adventure Activities in Queensland are:
- Go snorkelling or scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef.
- Road-trip up to the tip of Austalia, Cape York.
- Go bungee jumping in Cairns. The only place to bungee jump in Australia.
- Swim with sharks and whales
- Go white water rafting down Tully River
- Explore the vast outback
- Hike through QLD’s many national parks and rainforests
- Go mountain bike riding
- Get an adrenaline-rush riding a roller coaster at one of the many theme parks
- Go skydiving or sailing in the Whitsundays
- Glide through the skies whilst Hot Air Ballooning
- Surf along the coast
- Cost of Living 65% 65%
- Safety 90% 90%
- Landscapes & Scenery 100% 100%
- Tourist Attractions & Things to Do 95% 95%
- Adventure Rating 95% 95%
Disclaimer: Always check the smartraveller.gov.au website (or related) before travelling overseas, for their latest safety updates, advice and recommendations.
Solo Travel in Australia | How to Travel Solo Safely and on a Budget!
Solo Travel in Australia | Wanting to travel solo in Australia safely and on a budget? Here, we share our top advice when solo travelling in Australia.
20+ Fun Things to do in Brisbane for Backpackers & Outdoor Enthusiasts
A hot spot for solo travellers and backpackers, there is a plethora of fun things to do in Brisbane and surrounds. Start planning your Brisbane trip today!
Scuba Diving the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns – Is it worth it?
Thinking of scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns? Here, we list the best places to dive the Great Barrier Reef and whether it is even worth it.
What to do at the Whitsundays | 7 Amusing Adventure Activities to Try!
Planning a trip to the Whitsundays? Check out our tips on what to do including 7 fun adventure activities to try. Click here to read more.
Providence V Sailing Review & 5 Reasons to Sail the Whitsundays
Thinking of setting sail around the Whitsundays? Here's my honest review and 5 reasons to try Whitsunday Sailing’s Providence V Experience from Airlie Beach.
Whitsunday Segway Tours | An Honest Review – Should You Try It?
Considering doing a Whitsundays segway tour? Here's my experience riding a segway and some key things to know before you do a segway tour in the Whitsundays.
MY TOP 3 RECOMMENDED GEAR FOR QUEENSLAND
Closed-toed Hiking Shoes
Given Queensland is renowned for its National Parks, there’s going to be a lot of opportunities to go hiking.
Closed-toe hiking shoes will ensure that your feet remain protected against the varying and rugged landscapes of Queensland.
Clothes Packing Cell
Clothes packing cells are great because they allow you to organise your clothes into different sections.
That way you can find an item you want, without having to pull out EVERYTHING within your bag (eg. a warm jumper).
Personally, I loved using different packing cells – one for my warm clothes and another for my Summer clothes.
Australia has some of the highest levels of UV radiation in the world.
In fact, the UV radiation here is so strong, that it can even cause sunburn in as little as 11 minutes (on a fine summer day).
This is why sunscreen is a critical item to add to your travel gear packing list.
This is particularly important if planning to travel to Queensland during the hotter months.
SOLO TRAVEL TIPS
Thinking of travelling solo?
Amazing! Ensure to check out our Solo Travel page that is loaded with important advice & tips to know before you go.
They will help you to prepare for the journey and overcome any personal obstacles you experience during your trip.
Need help or guidance on what to pack?
Finding the right gear for your trip can be overwhelming and expensive – especially if you don’t know where to start.
On our Travel Gear page, I list my favourite travel gear and accessories to help you narrow down the field, save money and buy quality gear at reasonable prices.
PLAN & BOOK YOUR TRIP
Ready to take the big leap?
There’s no doubt that planning and booking your trip is the most exciting part for any new adventure.
Here I outline 20 steps that you need to know in order to plan and book a successful trip & have fun whilst doing it.
Start Planning Your Journey Today!
If you're interested in trying something new, or planning your next adventure, ensure to check out our latest articles for inspiration.
If you're ready to take an even bigger jump and would love to travel solo overseas, ensure to grab your copy of our FREE Solo Travel Starter Pack for Beginners.
This pack includes:
- A breakdown of how to book your first solo trip overseas and all the steps you need to consider
- Solo travel tips for beginners
- A pre-travel Planner, Tracker & Budget Template
Get yours for free today!