How Much Does It Cost to SEO Your Website in Australia
In today’s digital age, having a website for your business is not just a luxury but a necessity. However, simply having a website is not enough, especially within the highly competitive tourism niche.
To make it work for you and drive traffic to your site, you need to make sure it’s optimised for search engines. This is where search engine optimisation (SEO) comes in.
But, one of the greatest considerations for small businesses wanting to optimise their website for SEO is:
“How much does SEO cost in Australia?” 🤔
This is a critical question because for most small business owners they only have access to a small marketing budget, unlike the big multinational companies.
In these cases, every dollar put towards marketing counts and needs to be treated conservatively. After all, we all want to make sure that the juice is worth the squeeze 🍋🍊.
But, the cost of SEO truly depends on a variety of factors – which we will explore in more detail below.
In this article we’ll be exploring:
- Why investing in SEO is important for small businesses in Australia
- How much does SEO cost in Australia?
- Why you should focus on value and return on investment, not cost
- The options available to small businesses to suit different budgets
- The consequences of buying cheap SEO and backlinks (e.g., outsourcing online)
We’ll also introduce you to our FREE SEO 101 Masterclass for Beginners.
In this 4-day introductory course, you’ll gain insight into the power of SEO and some basic tips and strategies that can help you elevate your hospitality and/or tourism business to the top of search engine rankings.
1. Why Investing in SEO is Important for Tourism Businesses in Australia
Investing in SEO is essential in today’s digital world, especially for businesses within the travel and tourism niche. That is why it is critical to build a good quality SEO strategy – given the high competitiveness of the industry.
It’s a key pillar in any business’ digital marketing strategy.
But how much does SEO cost in Australia and why is it important?
Let’s dive in and explore the reasons why investing your time and money in SEO is totally worth it.
Search engine optimisation (SEO) can help your website rank higher in search engine results, making it easier for customers to find you online.
This increased visibility means that more people are likely to visit your website and engage with what you do, resulting in more bookings and sales.
Better User Experience
By tailoring your content to match the specific keywords and queries your customers are searching, you can promote a better user experience by giving them exactly what they’re looking for.
Additionally, a well-optimised website is faster, easier to navigate and provides users with the information they need, making it more likely that they’ll book with you over a competitor.
Improving your website’s visibility and user experience can also naturally increase your revenue. More bookings means more money for your business, and a well-optimised website is more likely to convert visitors into customers.
Less Reliance on Social Media, Paid Advertising and/or Third Party Websites
By having a strong online presence, your website can attract organic traffic on its own, reducing the need for paid advertising or promotion through third-party websites. This can result in more cost-effective marketing and improved return on investment.
2. How Much Does SEO Cost for a Small Business in Australia?
As an SEO professional, I often get asked how much does it cost to SEO your website, especially within Australia. But, with so many factors at play, it is near impossible to provide an exact answer to this question.
- Do you intend to do SEO yourself? (ie. DIY)
- Do you plan to hire a contractor to help do it for you?
- Do you intend to outsource all SEO efforts to an agency?
As a rough ballpark figure, if you’re thinking of outsourcing your SEO efforts to an agency, you can expect it to cost anything between $2,000 to $5,000 per month, on average.
For small businesses, SEO can be a HUGE financial investment depending on which method you choose. This is why it’s important to consider all the different options available before choosing one.
We’ll explore the different options in more detail below.
3. Focus on Value and Return on Investment, Not Cost
When determining what SEO strategy is right for you, it’s critical to keep in mind that it’s not only about the cost, but also the value and return you’re getting on your investment.
High-quality SEO Services Aren’t Cheap, But They’re Usually Worth It.
In the travel and tourism industry, competition is fierce. To stand out, you need to have a strong online presence, and that requires high-quality SEO.
Investing in high-quality SEO services can result in higher website traffic, increased brand awareness, and ultimately, more sales and bookings.
And, when you consider the long-term benefits of a strong online presence, the cost of SEO will pay for itself a thousand times over.
4. The Different Options Available to Small Business to Improve SEO
For small businesses, the cost of SEO can be a major concern. However, it is important to consider the benefits of investing your time and money into developing a strategy for your business.
According to HubSpot:
“Over 50% of marketers say keyword rankings and organic traffic are the top ways they measure the success of their SEO strategies.”
This means that over half of small to medium businesses are missing out on the potential traffic and revenue that a well-optimised website can bring.
As mentioned above, there are a variety of different options small businesses can consider to improve their website’s SEO.
The main ones include:
- Hiring an employee dedicated to executing your SEO strategy
- Hiring an SEO agency
- Working with a contractor / outsourcing online
- Buying a course and doing it yourself
Let’s explore these in more detail below.
1. Hiring a Dedicated Employee for SEO
When considering SEO for a travel business, one option is to hire a dedicated employee. Let’s take a closer look at the advantages and disadvantages of this approach.
- Greater control over your strategy and able to do it in-house, matching the unique needs and aims of your business and niche
- Know you’re getting a customised SEO strategy that is designed to target specific keywords for your audience and draw in the right visitors
- Have immediate access to the employee for updates and changes, allowing for a flexible and quick approach within the ever-changing travel industry.
- Can be expensive as you need to pay a wage, which might not be possible for smaller firms with a limited budget.
- Is dependent on one person’s skills and knowledge – they may not have the newest industry know-how, potentially leading to outdated SEO plans.
- There’s a lot of competition in the travel niche, and having one worker may not be enough to stay ahead of the competition without further support and resources.
- We would consider this one to demand the largest associated SEO costs in Australia, of all the options available
2. Hiring an SEO Agency
Partnering with an agency is another option for businesses that want a comprehensive approach to SEO.
An agency will be able to provide a full range of services, from keyword research to content creation and link building. The downside is that it is usually expensive and you’re putting all you trust in a third party to handle your SEO.
- High level of expertise and experience in SEO, potentially yielding better results.
- Usually offer a comprehensive suite of services, from keyword research to content creation and link building.
- Access to a team of professionals with a deep understanding of the latest SEO trends and techniques.
- Typically very expensive, and usually need to pay a monthly subscription. This might not be feasible for smaller travel businesses with a limited budget.
- Relying on a third party to handle your SEO can be a concern for some travel businesses.
- Need to give access to your website to people you don’t know, which can raise security concerns.
3. Working With a Contractor / Outsourcing
Outsourcing your SEO can be an affordable option, but you should be careful of who you outsource to.
For example, some contractors, especially those available online (eg. Fiverr, Air Tasker, etc) may not have the level of expertise or commitment you expect – despite what they advertise.
- Save time by having someone else do the SEO work.
- Affordable option compared to hiring a dedicated employee.
- Benefit from the expertise of a professional SEO agency or contractor.
- Have less control over what is done to your website, and less understanding of the methods used and their effectiveness.
- Need to provide access to your website to a stranger, potentially putting your site at risk.
- The quality of work from online contractors may not meet your expectations, despite their advertised expertise.
4. Buy a Course and Do it Yourself
As a small business, you may not have the budget for any of the above options.
Don’t worry though, there’s a solution for you too! Rather than getting someone else to do it, you can DIY your SEO and save a lot of money in the process.
We’ve found that small business owners can save at least $3500 per month DIYing their own SEO strategy.
Although it can be time-consuming and complex at times, it’s a great way to get started and see some results. However, it’s important to keep in mind that Google’s algorithms change frequently, so what worked in the past may not work now.
For the best results, we encourage small businesses to take advantage of our FREE SEO 101 Masterclass for Beginners so you can learn about the benefits of SEO, and some possible things you can do yourself to improve how you rank in Google. .
- Can cut costs by doing it yourself.
- Get to know the process and how it works.
- Gain new skills and knowledge to apply to your business.
- Takes time and patience to learn the basics and implement the strategy.
- Can be challenging if you already have limited time available as a business owner.
- Requires continuous learning and updating to keep up with the changing algorithms and industry trends.
Introducing… Our SEO 101 Masterclass for Beginners
If you’re interested in saving money by doing it yourself, ensure to check out our FREE SEO 101 Masterclass.
In this masterclass, we teach you the basics of SEO, how to optimise your website, and how to get more traffic from search engines. It’s a great way to get started and rev up your SEO appetite.
In this course, we’ll guide you through the basics of SEO and show you how you can use it to grow your business.
First, I’ll introduce you to the world of SEO and explain what it is and how it’s different from other forms of digital marketing. Then, I’ll highlight why SEO is so critical for small businesses, no matter your niche.
But here’s the best part – I’ll be explaining simple ways to implement SEO on your own to save costs!
That’s right, you don’t need to spend a fortune on outsourcing or agencies. With our step-by-step guidance, you’ll be able to save money and do some SEO work yourself.
And don’t worry, I’ll break down all the terms and explain them in layman’s terms so you can fully understand what’s going on.
So, if you’re ready to take control of your SEO and grow your business organically, sign up for our free SEO masterclass today!
5. Top Things to Avoid When Developing an SEO Strategy
With SEO, Cheap is Never Best.
When it comes to SEO, the age-old saying “you get what you pay for” holds true.
Although it may be tempting to opt for the cheapest option out there, in reality, these methods often do more harm to your business’ website than good.
Instead of googling “how much does SEO cost for a small business?” and making a decision based on your wallet, think of the impact a good quality SEO strategy and how it can increase:
- Revenue and your bottom line
- Online visibility
- Improve search engine rankings and
- The number of leads and sales
- The growth you experience within your business.
But, why is it so pricey? What makes up the main SEO costs for small businesses?
Well, there’s actually several reasons…
Firstly, SEO is a highly technical and complex field that requires a great deal of expertise and experience to master.
SEO specialists need to have a thorough understanding of how search engines work, as well as knowledge of the latest algorithms and best practices.
They must also keep up-to-date with the latest changes and updates, and have a deep understanding of your target audience and what they’re looking for online.
That’s why good SEO can’t be done by just your “average Joe”.
SEO services can also be expensive given the amount of time and effort it demands to do it right.
SEO specialists need to carry out extensive research, analyse your website and competitors, create a customised strategy, and then execute that strategy. This process can take months, or even years, to get right.
Avoid Paying for Cheap SEO and Backlinks
As a small business owner, sometimes it can be tempting to go for “easy wins” by buying cheap SEO services and backlinks.
While it may seem like you’re saving money, this strategy can end up costing you more in the long run, for example attracting irrelevant or low-quality backlinks that don’t benefit your business.
You may also get backlinks from sources that are known to be spammy or low-quality, which can cause Google to penalise the ranking of your website in search engines.
Some cheap SEO agencies may also use unethical tactics which impact your site negatively, causing you to spend more money to correct the damage.
This can become one of the greatest SEO costs for small businesses because the strategies executed actually negatively impact your website, as opposed to improving it.
This is why you want to make sure you’re getting good quality advice and invest in quality services that pay dividends in the long run.
Avoid Having a Rigid Strategy
The travel and tourism industry in Australia is highly competitive, with many businesses vying for the attention of potential customers.
In such a competitive environment, it’s important for businesses to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in SEO.
Focus on Building Trust, Not Achieving Quick Wins
Reputation is a crucial aspect for businesses as it directly affects your relationship with customers.
A positive reputation and high level of trust with customers can lead to increased customer loyalty and repeat business.
On the other hand, a negative reputation can discourage customers from using a business’ services, leading to decreased sales and revenue.
If you decide to purchase cheap SEO services, you may find yourself partnering with companies tempted by quick and unethical tactics such as keyword stuffing, link buying, and other black hat techniques.
These tactics can have negative effects on a business’ online presence, leading to penalties from search engines and a decrease in visibility.
In the worst-case scenario, they can result in a complete ban from search engines, making it nearly impossible for the business to reach its target audience.
How Much Does It Cost to Search Engine Optimise (SEO) a Website in Australia
Within this article, we strived to provide some detailed insight into how much SEO costs in Australia, with a focus on small business within the tourism niche.
We discussed the importance of investing in SEO, especially within the competitive travel and tourism niche and also including SEO as part of your overall digital marketing strategy.
We also emphasised the importance of focusing on value and return on investment, rather than just cost, especially when it comes to finding quality SEO services.
With SEO services, you truly get what you pay for and there are a lot of different variables that impact SEO costs in Australia. For example, the method you choose to implement your SEO strategy, whether it be:
- Hiring an employee
- Partnering with an agency
- Or doing it yourself.
At Adventure Travel Pro, we understand that the concept and process of SEO can be overwhelming, especially for those new to it. That’s why we’re here to help!
Our goal is to break down the process of search engine optimisation into simple, manageable steps so you can achieve the greatest results, no matter your budget.
If you’re ready to start learning about SEO, sign up for our FREE SEO 101 Masterclass today.